Ever since the car was invented in 1886, improvements keep happening to vehicles quickly. While some cars facts are general knowledge, others may surprise you!
Facts About Cars
- That new car smell that so many people love can actually be toxic! The fumes that you are breathing in is a combination of over 50 chemicals and compounds.
- Up to 85% of a car is recyclable. A typical car has around 30,000 parts in it.
- An average of 5 months of a person’s lifetime is wasted waiting at red lights.
- There are more cars than there are people in Los Angeles.
- A person will spend an average of 38 hours a year stuck in traffic in the United States alone! In 1982, the average was only 16 hours as population increase has soared.
- In America, women were allowed to drive before they were legally allowed to vote.
- Subaru is Japanese for Taurus, and the six stars in its logo reference the cluster of stars in its constellation.
- Car crashes are the 9th leading cause of death around the world.
- Car insurance companies claim that the average driver gets into an accident every 18 years of their life.
- Seat belts weren’t installed and mandatory in cars until 1959.
- Airbags weren’t invented until 1968.
- Unless it is an emergency, it is illegal to honk you car horn in New York City.
- Seatbelts save a life every 6 minutes.
- Cars were seen as a green alternative compared to dying horses and horse poop pollution in the 1900s.
- It costs around $9,000 a year to own and maintain a car in the United States.